Burnley ‘Up & Active’ Team are part of the new Active Lifestyle Hub for Pennine Lancashire, covering Burnley, Pendle, Ribble Valley, Hyndburn, Rossendale and Blackburn with Darwen.
We have been commissioned to deliver the Exercise Referral Scheme, Weight Management and Cardiac Rehabilitation programmes. All programmes are 12 weeks and offer a variety of physical activity.
The various classes take place at a range of times during the week and are on offer at different venues including St Peter’s and Padiham leisure centres, Prairie Sports Village, and Burnley Mechanics.
How to access the Up and Active Service
Self-Referral – please contact us on 01282 477134 to speak to one of the Up and Active Advisors.
Health Professional Referral – please make an appointment with your Health Professional to discuss suitability. Your Health Professional will send a referral form to the Up and Active Hub and an advisor will then make contact will you.
We now have a U&A recommendation form for professionals wanting to begin a self-referral on behalf of a client.
Contact the team for general enquiries on – 01282 477127
Click on the tabs below to find out more about our individual programmes.
A 12-week structured course of physical activity. Exercise options include chair-based exercise, group health walks, low level group activity, supervised gym, beginners Swim Fit and the FeelGood Factory. Each session has a charge of £2 during the 12 weeks. We ask a minimum attendance of one session a week.
To be eligible for this programme you must be at least 16 years old, inactive and have one or more health conditions. Conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, musculoskeletal problems or injuries, or mental health issues such as anxiety or depression.
This programme can be accessed through a self-referral by telephoning 01282477134 or a referral from a Health Professional, for example – GP, Practice Nurse, Physio.
Exercising throughout your pregnancy is important for both you and your growing baby. It keeps you fit and healthy and your body in tip-top condition. But if you’re wondering what sort of workouts you should be doing while pregnant, we’re here to help. Click here to see what safe and suitable opportunities are on offer with the Burnley Leisure at home timetable.
Useful links and resources:
- Online exercise classes for individuals with health conditions
- Walking for health – exercise guidance
- Using exercise to look after your mental health
- Arthritis Research Keep Moving booklet
Up and Active Client Journey’s:
- Philip is feeling very fit after attending the programme. He was recovering from back surgery and his goal is now to get fitter.
- Graham has better fitness after attending. He feels much healthier and is looking forward to a more active life.
- Valerie has a higher level of fitness and a happier disposition. She is feeling happier and more agile. She now walks faster and further and now feels better about herself.
- Susan has lost weight and feels more toned, she also feels much fitter. She feels stronger and takes part in more things. She thinks it is nice to be able to go on walks and exercise without being short of breath.
- Nina has better mobility and balance as a result of attending a programme. She feels more energetic and is now more active.
- Gareth has achieved more movement on the programme. He feels better from meeting new people and he can now join in with new groups.
- Dennis has improved his fitness, which has in turn helped with his breathing and overall health and happiness. He feels like he can do a lot more active things and he also feels stronger and healthier.
A 12-week structured programme of progressive exercise and health education for people who have recently had a heart attack or heart surgery. Exercise options include group health walks, low level group activity, supervised gym, plus group health education. The cost of the programme is £30 for the 12 weeks.
This programme is only accessed via a referral from a Cardiac Nurse or Health Professional.
Useful links and resources:
A 12-week course of health education, with optional weekly weigh-ins, as well as support and motivation from your Up and Active instructor. Group education sessions will be available within leisure facilities and online, additional one-one support will also be on offer.
You will be eligible to access a selection of leisure activities for a one-off fee of £30 whilst on your 12-week weight management programme.
To be eligible you must be at least 18 years old and have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-39.9.
This programme can be accessed through self-referral by telephoning 01282 477134 or completing the Online Weight Management Registration form either online or downloading it here and emailing it to email@example.com.
You can also access a programme with a referral from a Health Professional. For example – GP, Practice Nurse or Physio.
Covid-19 update – the drop-in clinic at St Peter’s is not currently taking place. We hope to resume soon, but unfortunately do not have a date now. For all smoking cessation enquiries, please contact the Quit Squad directly on 0800 328 6297.
‘Up and Active’ have a team of dedicated and experienced Stop Smoking Advisors. Our Open Access Community Clinic provides advice, support and motivation to help you stop smoking and stay stopped long-term.
The clinic takes place on a Monday evening from 5.30pm-6.45pm at the St Peter’s Health Centre.
If it’s your first time, all you need to do is come along during clinic times and let the reception staff know it’s your first time.
For any more information, call the office on 01282 477127.
Up & Active Newsletter
Read our newsletter
Read our blogs
Read Up & Active blogs and updates.