The shortlist of nominees for this year’s Burnley Community Sports Awards has been announced ahead of the ceremony in July.
The awards, which will be held at Burnley Mechanics Theatre on Thursday, 6th July, celebrate those who promote sport across the town and inspire future generations of athletes.
All shortlisted nominees have been invited to the prestigious prize-giving ceremony hosted by Olympian champion Sally Gunnell OBE.
The shortlisted nominees are:
- Community Club of the Year – Fulledge Colts, Burnley Athletic Club, Burnley Rugby Club
- Coach of the Year – Gregg Hodson, Shrona Pilling, Ian McKay
- Adult Volunteer – Daniel McGinty, Kellie Brotherton, Victoria Jordan, Heather Scott
- Young Volunteer – Daniel Tattersall, Samiya Rahmen
- Community Project – Bodyfit, Five Ways Boxing Academy
- School of the Year – Rosewood Primary, Casterton Primary, Sir John Thursby College, Briercliffe Primary
- Contribution to Women’s Sport – Joanne Baldwin, Kevin Morrell, Adele Helm
- Active Workplace – Calico Housing, Burnley College
- Young Achiever – Anya Richmond, Dexta Thompson, Tiarnan Crorken
Michelle Grimes, events and funding officer with Burnley Leisure, said: “There was a huge number of nominations received and the judging panel had to make some difficult decisions.
“With an array of great sporting talent in the local community that is often not given the recognition it deserves, the Burnley Sports Awards aim to give something back to those who have already given so much. The awards put the spotlight on clubs, teams, volunteers, men, women and juniors – at both amateur and professional levels – who have achieved sporting success, and recognise them with an award at the glittering ceremony.”
The organiser Burnley Leisure is pleased to announce the event this year is being sponsored by Birchall Foodservice, a family-owned firm based in Burnley.
Justin Birchall, Managing Director at Birchall Foodservice, said: “Birchall is delighted to be headline sponsor for this prestigious awards.
“We would like to congratulate all those people nominated as I know the selectors had a difficult task given the very high standard of sporting achievements.
“We are looking forward to the awards evening and getting to meet all our local sports stars.”
Individual awards are being supported by KM Accountants, Burnley School Sports Partnership, Burnley Rounders Club, Girls Up & Active, and Surridge Sport.
Michelle said: “The event relies heavily on sponsorships and a huge thank you goes to the companies and organisations that are supporting this year’s event.”
Sponsorship opportunities are still available and businesses in and around Burnley are invited to sponsor awards and become part of this prestigious event.
For more details visit www.burnleyleisure.co.uk/sportsawards
For all enquiries including how to sponsor an award please call Michelle Grimes, on 01282 477167 or email email@example.com